A blog about Bloomsbury Academic's 33 1/3 series, our other books about music, and the world of sound in general.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Oliver Postgate, R.I.P.

The 33 1/3 series wouldn't exist without Oliver Postgate. I can't really explain why, but it's true. He died yesterday in England, at the age of 83.

If you grew up outside of the U.K, it's entirely possible that you have no idea who this man was. Well, he created some of the most magical and extraordinary television ever made. Perhaps he's best known for the show "Bagpuss", but I was always more of a "Clangers" kid myself. If you've never seen an episode, set aside 10 minutes and watch "The Intruder" below - the only television programme aimed at toddlers, I suspect, ever to use the word "unwarranted" in its narration. The climax of this episode, between 8:00 and 9:00 minutes, is astonishing.

No comments: