* One of the most common questions we get around here is "When's the next call for proposals?" so I thought I'd quote David from a few weeks back:
Upcoming call for Proposals* Graeme Thomson, author of I Shot A Man In Reno, is guest blogging this week at the Powell's blog. Well worth checking out! And when you're done there, he's also blogging here full time.
Still no decision on this, but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to announce an open call for proposals at some point in October - more details as soon as I have them, obviously.
* By Friday afternoon we will have a winner for the TWO FREE PASSES to All Tomorrow's Parties featuring My Bloody Valentine in upstate New York. Until then, here's how to get your name in the hat.
* Saturday, AUGUST 30th at 6:00pm! In Los Angeles! At Metropolis Books! 3 x 33 1/3. Kim Cooper, David Smay, and Hayden Childs will be talking about Neutral Milk Hotel, Tom Waits, and Richard & Linda Thompson, respectively.
* The monthly 33 1/3 multimedia reading series will soon be kicking off at Barbès in Park Slope in Brooklyn. Starting with Abba Gold and Elisabeth Vincentelli on September 7th. Full schedule is here.
* New York Magazine's Vulture blog has an excerpt from Stephen Davis's new band bio of Guns N Roses. This year at Book Expo in downtown L.A., the "DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE? YOU'RE IN THE JUNGLE, BABY" phrase became something like a mantra for me. Here's the story of where it came from. (Turns out it's a little closer to home.)
* Vulture has also alerted us to the fact that WFMU's "The Best Show" host Tom Scharpling wants to write a 33 1/3 on Kris Kross, Styx, Paul Simon, or LA Guns... I'll let David handle this when he gets back from vacation, but until then, see point #1 above. I'm knee deep in the Sifl and Olly manuscript right now...good stuff.
(The amazing Kris Kross cover art above comes from Omar's detailed Best Show recaps.)
* While we're on the subject, now's as good a time as any to put up this amazing clip set to frequent "Best Show" guests Ted Leo and the Pharmacists' "Me and Mia." Mesmerising...