As mentioned below, Powell's Books is running a buy 2, get 1 free deal on 33 1/3's, and have asked 33 1/3 authors to write some guest posts for their blog...and here's the latest link-heavy update on where to find them. (This week Cesar Millan is also guest blogging at Powells, so it's one stop shopping for music geekery and dog whispering all week long.)
* Led Zep author Erik Davis on vikings, black metal, and pumping iron (seriously, folks!)
* Minutemen author Mike Fournier recommends various and sundry items for you to seek out and enjoy.
Previously on the Powell's blog:
* The Smiths author Joe Pernice on William Gibson amongst other things.
* Pet Sounds author Jim Fusili on the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, and the finer points of "cool."
* Armed Forces author Franklin Bruno on Elvis Costello and his R&B lineage (amongst other things).
* James Brown Live at the Apollo author Douglas Wolk offers up four books that influenced his book rather heavily.
* and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless author Mike McGonigal takes the reader on a virtual tour of Powell's and recommends one dozen rectangular things made of paper that he enjoys and thinks perhaps you might also.
* Highway 61 Revisited author Mark Polizzotti outs himself as a lover of the Moody Blues. (I used to own a well-worn copy of the 101 Strings tribute to Moody Blues! Guilty pleasures, indeed...)
* A Tribe Called Quest author Shawn Taylor on "Who Owns the Art?"
* Exile on Main Street author Bill Janovitz on the Beatles, parenthood, and nostalgia.
* The Ramones author Nick Rombes on Jimmy Carter, the 1970s, and the Electric Eels.
* The Smiths' Meat Is Murder author Joe Pernice on William Gibson.
* Editor David Barker on the 33 1/3 series here.
* Dusty in Memphis author Warren Zanes on the aforementioned David Barker here.
* Belle & Sebastian author Scott Plagenhoef on the online release of Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is here.
* Or you can just click here for the whole lot of them...
This week will bring us John Niven (The Band - Music from Big Pink) and Amanda Petrusich (Nick Drake - Pink Moon)