We're now accepting proposals for future 33 1/3 books, to be published in 2008 and 2009. Here are some rules, guidelines and ramblings:
* Proposals on artists already covered in the series (or under contract to be covered) will not be accepted. In other words, these people:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sly and the Family Stone
The Stone Roses
Guided By Voices
Guns N Roses
My Bloody Valentine
A Tribe Called Quest
Nine Inch Nails
Richard and Linda Thompson
Belle & Sebastian
* The deadline for submission of proposals is Wednesday February 14th - how very romantic.
* Only one proposal per person. Seriously!
* If you've submitted before, you're perfectly welcome to do so again.
* All proposals must be submitted via email - the address is email@example.com Please don't send any proposals to my regular work email. I'm trying to concentrate on Biblical Studies for the next few weeks.
* Choice of album is important - we're here to sell some books, after all. We're more likely to accept a proposal on Odessey & Oracle than on Angels With Dirty Faces, as much as I love them both.
* Your proposal should take the form of a Word document attachment. Do not include your proposal in the body of your email.
* Your proposal needs to include these simple things: your name; a brief outline (up to 1000 words) of how you would approach your album of choice; a brief bio of yourself (up to 500 words), outlining why you're awesome, and why you're the best person to write about that album; a couple of sentences on which 33 1/3 book you've enjoyed the most so far, and why; that's pretty much it.
Last time around (towards the end of 2005), we received about 170 proposals, and ended up offering contracts to 21 of them. I've no idea how many we'll get this time, or how many we'll end up signing, but we do promise to read them all and to give them all equal consideration. Once we've narrowed it down to a shortlist (by the middle of March), we'll contact those authors to finalise manuscript deadlines, etc.
I hope this covers everything! If you have any questions, leave them in the comments section to this post, and I'll do my best to answer them.